Acquiring physical therapy billing softwares at the onset of business operations is an important decision to make for a new business owner. This software is used for keeping patient records, checking for insurance eligibility and coverage, scheduling of appointments and create billing or insurance claims for services rendered.
Cost of physical therapy billing softwares can run from a few hundred to thousands of dollars. The more comprehensive the features, the more expensive it gets.
A therapist-business owner can choose from two major types of physical therapy billing softwares. One is the server-client-based software that needs to be installed on a computer. This software is only accessible on the computer it is installed into. The other one is the web-based application which can be accessed using any computer with no installation required.
The first one is the most common type of physical therapy billing softwares used in the industry. The second option is the most recent development and it is now gaining popularity.
Let’s talk about the pros and cons of using the server-client based physical therapy billing softwares or the web-based version.
With web-based applications, here are the pros:
- There is no need to spend so much for software licensing.
- Costly server hardware and maintenance can be avoided since web-based physical therapy billing softwares can be accessed on any computer or devices.
- All patient data are saved offsite. This helps avoid the possibility of data loss due to hardware problems. Data can be accessed using any computer with internet access and is not dependent on just one computer.
- Cost of web-based physical therapy billing softwares are generally lesser and more manageable. Recurring charges are fixed and there are additional maintenance expenses.
Here are the pros of a client-based software:
- There is no lag time and it is not affected with any internet connectivity problems. Since it is installed locally, internet is not required to access it.
- Patient data and files are totally secured since they are stored in one local computer. There is less possibility of hacking into the system and a greater chance of maintaining patient confidentiality.
There is no right or wrong way in the choice of physical therapy billing softwares. What matter is how it is going to be used and the objective for its selection. Going for physical therapy billing softwares that best suits the physical therapy business is always logical and is the best approach.